In Dec 2012 the Canadian Medical Association Journal published an article outlining the “Influence of Individual and Combined Healthy Behaviours on Successful Aging”.
The findings: Four behaviours, when combined, substantially increased the likelihood of good functional status at older age and absence of chronic diseases.
- NEVER SMOKING
- MODERATE ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION
- MODERATE PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
- EATING VEGETABLES AND FRUITS
Based on accumulated evidence I recommend adding the following three activities:
- LEARN TO MEDITATE AND PRACTICE IT AT LEAST 10 MINUTES DAILY
- CONNECT WITH OTHERS
- GET GENOMICS TESTING TO LEARN YOUR PERSONAL RISKS AND ACTIONS YOU CAN TAKE TO REDUCE THEM